Monday, February 27, 2017

Saunio Cardigan

The February pattern for sewmystyle is the Saunio Cardigan from Named Clothing. I decided to make this a combo Sew-from-Scratch/Refashion-Project.
I found this cosy ribbed knit in my out of control toppling mountain of fabric stash. I only had enough of this rib for the back and front pieces, which is where the refashion part of the project comes in.

I had picked up this big sweatshirt at Goodwill a couple of months ago - I liked the frayed hems, and I know I'll always use T-shirts or sweatshirts for something because they're somewhat forgiving on size and quick to sew.

I wanted to cut off and open up the shirt sleeves and keep the original frayed hem cuffs.
Uh-oh ....PROBLEM: the sweatshirt armholes aren't as deep as on the Saunio pattern. Therefore the sweatshirt sleeve isn't wide enough.
Oh well....SOLUTION: I figure nobody's going to be doing underarm inspections on me (that would just be weird??), so I pieced the sleeves together, overlocking scraps of fabric on either side.
I just managed to get the facings out of the body of the shirt.

The whole cardigan is a quick sew - it took longer with the swearing (a frequent part of my sewing projects), the sweatshirt deconstruction and fudging the pattern layout.

It also looks good in a variety of fabrics (see #sauniocardigan on Instagram). Full post here.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

#45 Back to School Wardrobe: Wind Pants to Summer Shorts

My self-challenge: Back to Elementary School Wardrobe started last August:
Goal #1: 10 Re-fashions each month beginning August when I returned to teaching. 
Goal #2: Shop from the closet. No new / used clothing for this school year.
Goal #3: Shop from the sewing stash for Re-fashion materials.

I have bought only 2 pieces of fabric for a Re-fashion and 4 pairs of winter tights.
Since I cannot shop, I am checking Winter lounge wear for items in need of mending or Re-Fashion.

BEFORE: Wind pants in the at home lounge-wear. These nylon pants were scratchy and very uncomfortable. But they had lots of wear left in them.  

  • Use a seam ripper to open seams in outer legs and waistband.
  • Fold up legs to meet hems at waist-band. Cut to length for shorts.
  • Cut new side inserts from the old leg bottoms. Insert, serge, topstitch in place.
  • Use old t-shirt to cut new waistband facings. Re-insert old elastic.

AFTER:  Paper-bag waist Shorts for summer gardening at the RanchHouse. 

Paper-bag waist shorts for summer gardening

Leg bottoms cut for new side inserts in shorts.

Old t-shirt cut to make facing
for new paperbag waist

Nylon wind pants legs were scratchy

Saturday, February 25, 2017

#44 Back to School Wardrobe: Snug Thermal to Sleeveless Lounge Top

REFLECTIONS: Old thick cottom thermals are a favorite RanchHouse at home lounge and sleep wear. Before thinner "silkies" I wore them under winter clothing. In the 70's one co-teacher raised her skirt to show thick cotton thermals under her long skirt and boots. 

BEFORE: Too snug thermal top in RanchHouse at home loungewear. 

  • Use a seam ripper to open sleeves/side seams.
  • Leave sleeve in. Cut sleeve 1 “ down from the sleeve seam. Serge / turn to create the new facing. Topstitch in place.
  • Cut new side inserts from old sleeves. Insert, serge, topstitch in place.
  • Add lace to bottom edge.

AFTER:  Sleeveless thermal to warm up RanchHouse at home flannels. 

Sleeveless thermal under flannels

Sleeveless thermal

Lace added

Side panel cut from sleeves added to enlarge.

BEFORE: Snug thermal from RanchHouse loungewear

Pinned to the wall

Turned an outworn shirt with a great design into a cute wall hanging using some fabric glue, a chocolate box lid, some ribbon, and some sparkly stickers. I think she looks real pretty up there! What do yall think?

Thursday, February 23, 2017

An Imagine UNtunic alteration

Today's refashion is simple: Mine typically are... What makes this somewhat unique, perhaps, is that I refashioned this tunic using ONLY a Serger.

This is not a flattering silhouette for a "hippy" gal such as myself...

I use Sergers all the time (Yes, you saw right. Plural. Sergers.). My job/livelihood is selling sewing machines and giving lessons on how to use them. I may not be the best seamstress, but I know ALL about how machines work and how to best utilize them for certain "looks." (Not bragging... just illustrating that even though I'm a horrible seamstress I'm still knowledgeable. Those who can't do, teach, right?) :)  I've found that when it comes to sergers, people can get quite flustered. But there's really NOTHING to it.

Exhibit A:

For this super simple refashion, I used our Baby Lock Imagine Serger to "UN tunic" this sweater.

This is what the side seams looked like with a 3 thread overcast stitch on the Imagine:

This is so much more professional looking than a zig zag or straight stitch

And even though I did like the striped linen fabric trim, it sadly went bye-bye when I finished the bottom edge with a rolled hem (done on the same Serger).

Still only 3 threads, but a completely different look.

This alteration was SO simple. Seriously... just 3 stupid little seams and it was all done on a Serger. If I can make a refashion look good (or at least not "home made" looking...) by using a Serger any one can.

I think this is much better on my, uh, curves...

I bought myself some Tieks for Valentine's Day :)

If you've contemplated getting a Serger, I would highly recommend them. They really polish up your projects and they sew at lightning speed so you can get your sewing done much faster too. It's a win-win :)

Happy SERGING ;)