Sunday, November 24, 2013

Granny dress to Tunic

Well hello there readers!
Yesterday I did I refashion I was pretty proud of.

It started with the granny dress, complete with restrictive collar, floor length, and side zipper to hold in all those granny bits.

I found this little gem at the dollar-a-pound thrift store in Asheville, NC. It's a small one but I left with some good stuff! Read: refashionable stuff. This dress was originally a Liz Claiborne granny dress. The tag said the material was imported but didn't tell me what kind it is. It feels like a super light weight jean fabric, like a chambray. But what do I know....

Anyway! 
I grabbed that sucker off my dress form, tried it on and started safety pinning off the too big parts.
Then I ended up here: I removed the inner loopy neckline, leaving just the outer embroidery, took the length up a ton, took in the sides, and made endless hems. When I tried it on again tho, the sleeves were too tight. SO, I just cut the existing hem plus maybe a quarter inch, and then hemmed that as well. I ended up with this:
And the back!
What do you think? My husband said it looks like scrubs, I think it looks rather hippie and I feel like it needs something but I don't know what :/ help!
Sustainabot 



11 comments:

Shelley Carr said...

I think I would add sleeves. Something dark, like black, so it has this color blocked look. Then maybe some kind of trim around the neckline, I think if it was me, I'd add a yellow trim around most of it, leaving the v underneath so its sort of like a keyhole. just a thought.

Andrea said...

Hmm, maybe dye it, or add some sort of contrasting fabric (think color blocking the bottom or the shoulders and neckline), or use some lace to create a little flutter sleeve and then throw on a belt...its kind of a blank canvas, so hopefully you can gather some inspiration and be fearless about making it "you" :) The first step was a definite success!

Anonymous said...

Maybe some bead embellishment around the neckline and some shirring in the back to fit it around the waist?

Ali said...

Looks good but I see what you mean. I think it needs colour, maybe dye it or add some kind applique to it

BubblesRides said...

I think dye it, too. You can do an ombre effect and just dye the bottom so that it fades to dark. Or if you really want to go with the hippie vibe, then tie dye it.

Unknown said...

Thank you! You're right!

Unknown said...

I was thinking about the dye but thought it might be a bit much!

Unknown said...

Tye dye- sorry!

Unknown said...

I forgot about hombre! That's it!

Refashion said...

I agree that dye is the way for this....would love to see the end result :)
Debbie EOD

AliceSAysNo said...

tie dye?