Monday, May 21, 2018

Scarf to Kimono Refash

I have noticed that gauzy shawls or kimonos are very popular this year, but I can't seem to find any in the stores that I really like. So, of course the better idea would be to make one!
I was excited when my mom gave me this flamingo scarf (my mom knows how much I LOVE flamingos)! To my delight it was made out of a gauzy material. Honestly, I almost just kept this as a scarf....until I unfolded it and realized just HOW much fabric there was....A TON!
DSCN1535
\Don't you just love those tassels!?

DSCN1547
I started by measuring 10 inches from the bottom and marked it. Then I measured 7 inches from the side. This was to make the sleeves.
After marking my measurements I stitched up the scarf and cut the  excess.

DSCN1544
Once I got the sleeves situated, I cut up the middle and stitched up the sides. This was to make the front opening.

DSCN1548
Most of the tassels were on the fabric that I was cutting off, so I had to save them.

DSCN1562
I reattached the tassels onto the scarf.

IMG_1026
To accent my new kimono I made tassels out of pink embroidery floss and attached them onto some earrings.

IMG_0980.jpg
Mother's Day was nice enough, weather wise, that I was able to wear my new kimono. I took my mom to Mother's Day brunch at the Detroit Zoo! As it turned out the food was fantastic and the weather was so nice we were able to have a full day walking around the zoo after our brunch!

IMG_1016

IMG_1027
I was so happy to be able to make this the best Mother's Day for my amazing mom! She deserved it and much much more!
2018-20-05-20-06-22
Happy Refashioning!!!

Check out my stash of refashions on my blog!

2 comments:

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

Cute refashion...love the flamingos!

I Can Work With That said...

What a great kimono, the flamingos are great!
Chickie